Advent Calendar Door 11: Creating KPIs in SharePoint Lists
Creating KPIs in SharePoint Lists
To achieve this with skybow Solution Studio, it is actually almost immorally simple.
- Upload the KPI icons you want to use to any SharePoint library in your site
- Select the list or library where you want to have a KPI-like field
- Create a picture field in that list (not hyperlink, really, a picture field)
- Go to “Things in background” => Field settings => Values, for that newly created field
- Select the “fx Expression” as Calculated Value type
- In the Expression field, use any expression to return the exact path to the KPI icon you want to show
Those expressions can be very simple ones, such as:
[[amount]] > 10 ? "/sites/sitename/SiteAssets/green.png" : "/sites/sitename/SiteAssets/red.png"
The expression above (should be of “assignment type”) will just set a green or red icon in the picture field, depending on the value of the “amount” field in that list. As you see, we have created a fully functional KPI indicator, based on read field data (the “amount” field), within seconds!
The expression on the next screenshot is somewhat more complicated (and uses “Function code” expression type), but it gives you way more flexibility to create your KPIs., just the way you want it to be.
In this case, we want to show the status of a Purchase Order as a KPI icon. Based on other list data, out purchase order can be “Submitted”, “In process”, “Placed” or “Received”:
And that’s basically it – development time is under 5 minutes, and your KPIs are in place, where you want them to be!